A wonderful, simple recipe from our dear friend Mary. These are great hot or cold. They are great with toasted almonds slivers or sesame seeds too.
Szechwan Green Beans – Molly Katzen
Yield: 4 – 6 servings
Once the beans are trimmed, all you need is a large hot pan, and the rest is one big, quick sizzling action!
These will keep for up to a week in a tightly covered container (or a zip-style plastic bag) in the refrigerator.
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 pound whole green beans, trimmed
5-10 crushed garlic cloves
Red pepper flakes
- Place a large, deep skillet or wok over medium heat. After about two minutes, add the oil, and swirl to coat the pan.
- Turn the heat to high, and wait another 30 seconds or so, then add the green beans and a big pinch of salt.
- Cook over high heat , shaking the pan and/or using tongs to turn and move the beans so they cook quickly and evenly.
- After about 3 minutes, take a taste test and see if the beans are done to your liking. They should be relatively crunchy, but you get to decide. If you like them cooked a little more, keep going another 2 minutes or so.
- Sprinkle in the garlic and some red pepper flakes, and cook for just a minute longer. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.